About the Book

Book:  Seeing Voices

Author: Olivia Smit

Genre:  Contemporary Young Adult

Release Date: April 15, 2020

Skylar Brady has a for her life—until a car accident changes everything.

Skylar knows exactly what she wants, and getting in a car accident the summer before twelfth grade isn’t supposed to be part of the plan. Although she escapes mostly unharmed, the accident has stolen more than just her hearing from her: she’s also lost the close bond she used to have with her brother.

When her parents decide to take a house-sitting job halfway across the province, it’s just one more thing that isn’t going according to plan. As the summer progresses, Skylar begins to gain confidence in herself, but as she tries to mend her relationship with her brother, she stumbles upon another hidden trauma. Suddenly, she’s keeping as many secrets as she’s struggling to uncover and creating more problems than she could ever hope to solve.

Click HERE for your copy!

About the Author

Olivia Smit loves baking, visiting small towns, and writing stories that face hard truth with hope and encouragement. Olivia has an Honours Specialization in Creative Writing, English Language, and Literature and lives in Canada with her family. Seeing Voices is her first novel. Learn more at https://oliviasmit.ca/.

More from Olivia

Although “Seeing Voices” is not the first book I ever wrote, it is the first one that felt like it held a little piece of my heart. Skylar and her older brother, Mike, popped into my head one afternoon, both coping with the aftermath of a car accident in totally different ways. It took me ages to figure out what kind of story they belonged to, but right from the beginning I knew it would be a story about siblings and families, pain and guilt, and also (perhaps most importantly!) togetherness and love.

In so many ways, “Seeing Voices” was for me, before it was for readers. I wrote the rough draft when I was 18, fresh out of high school and still figuring out a few tricky situations within my own family. As I wrote about Skylar and Mike, I poured a lot of my own confusion and emotion into the pages, trying to make sense of my own feelings of responsibility, frustration, and ultimately, hope. Words from the book still float through my mind when I’m in certain situations, little reminders of lessons I learned once and need to hang onto with both hands.

I prayed my way through the writing process, trying (and failing) to find a story that fit with Skylar and Mike, who felt so much like real people. I prayed through querying, trusting that if God wanted this story out there in the world, He would find it a home … and if He wanted Skylar and Mike to be a story just for me, I would be okay with that, too. In so many ways this process has been a team effort, and I feel convinced that this isn’t my story, after all — it’s God’s, and I’m just doing my part to help tell it.

My Review

Every now and then a book comes along that just surprises you in such a delightful and unexpected way that you read it almost straight through in one sitting. I try not to look at the synopses of books that I intend to read so that I don’t enter into the story with any preconceived notions, good or bad, and so that I don’t end up piecing together the plot threads too quickly. Approaching this particular book, the first thing that came to mind was synesthesia because of the title. As it turns out, that is not what it references, but it is still apropos and very insightful; someone who loses or is lacking one sense instinctively adjusts as well as possible by strengthening their other senses. I find this intriguing, so I was engaged with the story from page one, and I can happily say that it only gets better!

“Seeing Voices” may be written primarily for a young adult audience, but I guarantee that anyone older than that will enjoy it immensely also. Olivia Smit writes a stunning debut novel that deals with challenging real-life issues without being too heavy, taking on strained relationships, the effects of trauma, and the ebb and flow of grief. This is all set against a quiet yet powerful backdrop of faith, as exemplified by one of the major secondary characters, Cam. Because the tough situations are not tidily swept up with easy answers and happily-ever-after moments, the story, and thereby Cam’s faith in God, is all the more realistic and relatable. I love that Cam is so sincere and compassionate, yet does not merely spout Bible verses or platitudes but instead truly lives out his faith. My favorite monologue in the book is Cam’s heartfelt response to Skylar’s pain: “I don’t know why the accident happened to you, Skylar. I don’t know why bad things happen to good people. All I can say is that I know God isn’t punishing you, and He isn’t safe, not like a helmet or seat belt. His love for you isn’t easy or comfortable, but it is strong. His love for you is so strong.”

Part of what makes this novel so eloquently compelling is its basis in relationships. Skylar Brady’s post-accident life is scarred by the changes in her relationship with her older brother, Mike, as well as with her closest friends. During the transformative summer in which the story takes place, she forms new bonds with new friends while also trying to mend those from her prior life. Even how she interacts with her parents has fundamentally changed, and I obtained a newfound respect for those living with hearing loss. I realized that it’s not as easy as using hearing aids, which amplify all sound, including wind and background noise, and which may still require the person to lip-read, as with Skylar. She comments that it’s “Like there’s a haunting magic in the noise of it all, and when you take that away, get rid of the Pied Piper, there’s not a whole lot of reason to run along with the others.” Her spiritual awakening unfolds slowly, and along the way more trials occur. Skylar’s story, told in her own voice in the first-person, becomes all the more captivating because it meets readers where they are, especially those who are unsure about God. Circumstances in our lives may change, but God never does.

I received a complimentary copy of this book through Celebrate Lit and was not required to post a favorable review. All opinions are my own.

Giveaway

To celebrate her tour, Olivia is giving away the grand prize package of coasters and a book sleeve!!

Be sure to comment on the blog stops for nine extra entries into the giveaway! Click the link below to enter.