About the Book

Book:  Refresh Your Faith

Author: Lori Hatcher

Genre:  Devotional

Release Date: May 2020

Unfamiliar verses. Uncommon insights. Unlimited possibilities.

Move from biblical doldrums to dynamic discovery! While your favorite Scripture verses or stories may bring you comfort, if you’re feeling monotony in your time with God it’s time to shake it up a bit. Each of these 66 culturally relevant, story-driven devotions—one from each book of the Bible—spotlights an unusual verse or passage and takes only five minutes to read. If you have more time, you can dig a little deeper with an uncommon thought to ponder, unusual faith action step to take, and an unfamiliar passage suggestion that invites you to further explore the Bible’s hidden gems.
You’ll be challenged to think deeply, step out boldly, and grow dynamically, transforming your devotional time—and your life!

Praise for Lori Hatcher’s writing . . .

“Real-life inspiration and candid wit. These 5-minute devotions will change your life.” —Psychologist and best-selling author Dr. Kevin Leman

Click HERE to get your copy!

About the Author

Lori Hatcher is a blogger, pastor’s wife, and women’s ministry speaker. She’s the editor of South Carolina’s Reach Out, Columbia magazine, president of Columbia Toastmasters, and regular contributor to magazines such as Christian Living Today and websites like Crosswalk.com. Her book Hungry for God . . . Starving for Time, won the Christian Small Publisher 2016 book of the year. Find out more about Lori and her well-loved 5-minute devotions at lorihatcher.com.

Read a Teaser from Refresh Your Faith

The dirty little secret in Christian circles is that many of us are bored with our devotional time. We know we shouldn’t feel this way. It’s important to read our Bibles every day. After all, it’s God’s Word, the source of truth, and life, and hope.

While some have successfully built the discipline of Bible reading into their lives, others struggle. Even those who regularly read their Bibles find it a bit dry at times. Many of us also read devotionals, not to take the place of Bible reading, but to help us discover unfamiliar passages and stories and benefit from a godly writer’s perspective.

I wrote Refresh Your Faith because I was frustrated by many of the devotionals I read. They seemed to focus on the same basic verses I’d memorized with my children twenty years ago. John 3:16, Romans 8:28, Psalm 23, Matthew 3:5-6. Same with the Bible passages and stories. I treasure the familiar verses and stories. I’ve held them close to my heart during some of the darkest times of my life.

But I knew there was more to the Bible than these well-worn favorites.

I reached a point in my spiritual life when I needed something new. If something didn’t change, my spirit was going to wither up. My time with God shouldn’t be something I did out of duty. I wanted to delight in God and His Word.

So I asked God to help me. I needed something to refresh my faith and energize my Bible reading. Wow, did He answer. I’d been reading through the Bible every year for more than a decade, but all of a sudden, the Holy Spirit opened my eyes to passages I’d never noticed before.

These uncommon verses sparkled like gems. The more I read, the more I spotted them, tucked into obscure stories and buried under genealogies and census reports. I found some hiding out in plain sight—golden nuances and nuggets in the shadows of the more familiar stories.

Refresh Your Faith, Uncommon Devotions from Every Book of the Bible is a collection of the treasure I unearthed during my year of searching. Each story-driven devotion contains an unusual verse, a real-life application, and an uncommon faith step.

I hope my book will energize your faith, inspire your devotional time, and make you say, “Wow, I’ve never seen that before!”

My Review

There are a plethora of Christian devotionals available these days, in print format and online, and while finding one is relatively easy, finding the right one for you based on your spiritual needs is crucial and  can be overwhelming. As someone with this same struggle, I try to check out and review devotionals whenever I can in the hopes that at least one of them will speak to someone’s heart. With that in mind, I can highly recommend Lori Hatcher’s new devotional book, “Refresh Your Faith: Uncommon Devotions from Every Book of the Bible.” This is one of the most interesting devotionals that I have had the pleasure of reading.

“Refresh Your Faith” consists of one devotional for each book of the Bible, each written to take 5 minutes to read and reflect upon. An aspect of this book that I appreciate, and one that I’ve mentioned before in previous reviews, is that there are no chapter numbers or days pre-assigned to the readings. Instead, the chapter heading is comprised of the Bible book about which it is written, a title that gives insight into what the reading will be about, and a corresponding Bible verse. Following each reading is an Uncommon Thought that summarizes that day’s lesson and an Unusual Faith segment that brings the teaching home through personal questions and suggestions about how to accomplish what the Lord is calling us to do through that examination of Scripture. Each chapter concludes with listing a chapter or two from the Bible to look up and read. I like this setup because closing with Scripture allows readers to end with God’s Word fresh in their minds, and hopefully with a greater understanding of it.

Taken as a whole, this devotional uniquely provides an overview of the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. This is what I find most unique about it, and this is what especially attracts me to it. Because of how it touches upon every book of the Bible and thus gives a general overview of the Bible itself, this is an ideal choice for a devotional for both seasoned Christians and newcomers to the faith. In fact, since it focuses on the lesser-known Biblical figures and stories, this is a great resource for all Christian women!

I received a complimentary copy of this book through Celebrate Lit and was not required to post a favorable review. All opinions are my own.

Blog Stops

Giveaway

To celebrate her tour, Lori is giving away the grand prize package of a $25 Amazon gift card and autographed copy of Refresh Your Faith!!

Be sure to comment on the blog stops for nine extra entries into the giveaway! Click the link below to enter.