Blurb:

***2019 Carol Award winner, Debut***

***2019 Realm Award Book of the Year***

Selling stories is a deadly business

Tanwen doesn’t just tell stories—she weaves them into crystallized sculptures that sell for more than a few bits. But the only way to escape the control of her cruel mentor and claw her way from poverty is to set her sights on something grander: becoming Royal Storyteller to the king.

During her final story peddling tour, a tale of treason spills from her hands, threatening the king himself. Tanwen goes from peddler to prey as the king’s guard hunts her down . . . and they’re not known for their mercy. As Tanwen flees for her life, she unearths long-buried secrets and discovers she’s not the only outlaw in the empire. There’s a rebel group of weavers . . . and they’re after her too.

Book Purchase Links

Amazon

Christianbook

Author Bio:

Lindsay A. Franklin is a best-selling author, freelance editor, and homeschooling mom of three. She would wear pajama pants all the time if it were socially acceptable. Lindsay lives in her native San Diego with her scruffy-looking nerf-herder husband, their precious geeklings, three demanding thunder pillows (a.k.a. cats), and a stuffed marsupial named Wombatman.

Social Media Links:

#TheWeaverTrilogy #TheStoryPeddler #EnclaveEscape  #EnclavePublishing

My Review:

“Many people’s lives were stories with mysterious endings. Mine was a story with a beginning I could never make sense of. It was like fifty different unrelated strands I couldn’t weave into a solid crystal.”

Fantasy is not the first genre that I go to when looking for a book to read; I enjoy fiction, but I suppose it’s safe to say that I’m a fan of realistic writing, as historical fiction is my favorite category. However, once in a while a fantasy book will appeal to me, enticing me to give it a chance. I’ve heard so much about the Weaver Trilogy and found the covers to be enchanting, so I was eager to start reading. My impressions on the first book? A solid debut.

With “The Story Peddler”, Lindsay Franklin opens her Weaver Trilogy in the land of Tir. Tanwen is a young girl living in absolute poverty. Her neighbors have helped take care of her and, now that she is almost 18, still provide some food for her due to the fact that she lives alone and must provide for herself. The neighbor’s son, Brac, intends to marry her because they have grown up together and are very close friends. Tanwen, however, has her own dreams. At the abrupt termination her job, Tanwen, in fear for her life for unwittingly committing treason during a storytelling tour, begins to find answers to questions and customs that have eluded her for years. Furthermore, her story intertwines with that of Princess Braith, with each chapter marked to denote which young woman is the focus.

I love the concept behind this book. Franklin does a nice job of combining literature and art to form a new realm in which dictatorial rule threatens the well-being of the citizens. Full of danger and action, there is plenty here to keep readers engaged. Tanwen’s struggles with committed relationships and being tied down to rural life when her dream is to serve the King as a royal storyteller echo similar strivings that we endeavor to fulfill today. While not overtly Christian, it definitely has strong underpinnings based on Christian teaching and the Bible. “The Story Peddler” is a story that speaks to young adults and grandparents alike, as well as everyone in between.

I received a complimentary copy of this book through Celebrate Lit and was not required to post a favorable review. All opinions are my own.