About the Book

Book:  House at the End of the Moor

Author: Michelle Griep

Genre:  Christian Historical

Release Date: April 2020

An Opulent London Opera Star Escapes to the Rugged Landscape of the English Moors

Opera star Maggie Lee escapes her opulent lifestyle when threatened by a powerful politician who aims to ruin her life. She runs off to the wilds of the moors to live in anonymity. All that changes the day she discovers a half-dead man near her house. Escaped convict Oliver Ward is on the run to prove his innocence, until he gets hurt and is taken in by Maggie. He discovers some jewels in her possession—the very same jewels that got him convicted. Together they hatch a plan to return the jewels, clearing Oliver’s name and hopefully maintaining Maggie’s anonymity.

Click HERE for your copy!

About the Author

Michelle Griep’s been writing since she first discovered blank wall space and Crayolas. She is the Christy Award-winning author of historical romances: A Tale of Two Hearts, The Captured Bride, The Innkeeper’s Daughter, 12 Days at Bleakly Manor, The Captive Heart, Brentwood’s Ward, A Heart Deceived, and Gallimore, but also leaped the historical fence into the realm of contemporary with the zany romantic mystery Out of the Frying Pan. If you’d like to keep up with her escapades, find her at www.michellegriep.com or stalk her on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.

More from Michelle

What comes to mind when you hear the word moor? For some, images of Jane Eyre spring to life. For others, The Hound of the Baskervilles starts barking. But for most, it’s a big fat goose egg. The fact is that most Americans don’t have a clue what a moor is, but never fear, my friend…after you read the next few paragraphs, you’ll never again go blank-minded when you hear the word moor.
Last summer I skipped across the pond and tromped around Dartmoor with my daughter and husband. What an awesome experience. I learned first-hand just how windy this vast stretch of land can be, for that’s really what a moor is at heart: a vast stretch of land. Webster’s defines it as an expanse of open rolling infertile land. Sounds rather desolate, eh? Yeah. Kind of. But it’s oh so much more.

In spring and summer, green does abound. Gorse bushes. Scrubby grasses. Lambs and sheep and goats. All these animals roam free so there are trails worn into the dirt that you can hike along. But I hear you…where could you possibly go if there’s nothing besides some farm animals roaming around the place?

You could hike to a tor, which is a “high, craggy hill.” Some of them can be a little treacherous to climb, but sweet mercy, what a view! The earth stretches out like a green and brown quilt. As I hiked that day last spring, whispers in the wind inspired me to wonder a lot of what-ifs, and those what-ifs came together in a story of intrigue and betrayal.

What would you do if you found a half-dead man bleeding in the middle of nowhere? Find out what heroine Maggie Lee does in The House at the End of the Moor.

My Review

I am convinced that Michelle Griep cannot write anything less than a 5-star story. She is one of the truly exceptional authors who can draw readers into the world of her books so completely that everything else fades into the background and the reader walks alongside the characters. Historical fiction is my favorite genre to begin with, and Griep manages to elevate it to another level. Her prose is Dickensian, which is another reason that I love it so much, and it perfectly reflects the Victorian time period of her most recent novel, “The House at the End of the Moor.”

Set in England in March 1861, the first two chapters are introductory, presenting the two primary characters. Chapter two opens with my favorite line in the book: “Nights like these, when the wind shivers the bones of the great old house, ghosts of my past waft about unmoored.” This is another favorite of mine: Griep’s ability to beautifully describe a scene in a way that seems old-fashioned but is nevertheless still entirely concise. In “The House at the End of the Moor”, Margaret “Maggie” Lee and Oliver Ward enter into each other’s world, and different though they appear, as the plot progresses, readers realize that they have more in common than they realize.

Indeed, despite their many differences, Maggie and Oliver share something in common: both are running away. Maggie from her successful but emotionally distressing former career, and Oliver from a wrongful conviction. The conditions and ill treatment of Dartmoor Prison described in this book are appalling, but they are written respectfully and with sensitivity. Furthermore, this book contains a shifting narrative viewpoint between these two characters, with Oliver’s story told in the third-person and Maggie’s in the first-person. While this can be a challenging undertaking, it works well here. It distinguishes the two characters while simultaneously highlighting their similarities, both of which play an important role in the story. A sinister plot links them together, and with the enemy at the door, they must trust not only each but, above all, God, because He promises to be with us always and to never forsake us.

I received a complimentary copy of this book through Celebrate Lit and was not required to post a favorable review. All opinions are my own.

Blog Stops

Stories By Gina, April 25

Adventures of a Traveling Wife, April 25

Blossoms and Blessings, April 25

Splashes of Joy, April 26

Simple Harvest Reads, April 26 (Guest Review from Mindy Houng)

Vicky Sluiter, April 26

For the Love of Literature, April 30

All-of-a-kind Mom, May 1

Bookishly Beverly, May 1

Daysong Reflections, May 1

Artistic Nobody, May 1 (Guest Review from Donna Cline)

Giveaway

To celebrate her tour, Michelle is giving away the grand prize package of a $25 Amazon gift card and a free copy of the book!!

Be sure to comment on the blog stops for nine extra entries into the giveaway! Click the link below to enter.