Yes Sisters: Surrounding Yourself with Women who Affirm, Encourage, and Challenge You - White,  Angelia

We CAN! Angelia White’s “Yes Sisters,” written with Erin Keeley Marshall, forms a handbook of sorts for women who are seeking to find or to become Yes Sisters, who encourage, speak truth, and help us become the best Christ-followers that we can be. As the appellation suggests, Yes Sisters should be women who support us and cheer us on while not being afraid to (lovingly) tell us what we need to hear: “Yes Sisters pursue and celebrate the potential in other women. They thoughtfully seek what’s below the surface. They give honor to the special beauty in someone else.” White connects this with our faith walk by delving into the qualities of God, including the yeses and nos that He gives us.

“Yes Sisters” is divided into three parts, with the first comprised of affirmations for women and also about God; the second focusing on moving forward with what God has placed on our hearts; and the third a look into becoming a Yes Sister, forgiving the No Sisters we have encountered on our journey, and learning about Yes Sisters found in the Bible. Each chapter opens with a relevant Scripture verse, and between each chapter is A Word from a Yes Sister, short stories of insight from a variety of Christian women.

The essence of this book may be found within the chapters themselves, as this is where White shares her own personal tragedies and triumphs, making “Yes Sisters” infinitely relatable and inspiring for women of all ages and all walks of life. Chapter 8, Our Faith Will Sustain Us, is one of my favorites. I particularly enjoyed the message regarding trusting God: “Instead of beating ourselves up for not trusting Him more, we need to see that the very act of admitting our need for Him reveals our trust. Something in us knows we need Him first and foremost. That something is faith.”

Whether you are a new Christian or a long-time disciple, “Yes Sisters” will uplift and enlighten you along your walk with the Lord, with faithful sisters by your side.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Revell and was under no obligation to post a positive review. All opinions are my own.