sorcharaicheal

For the Love of Literature

As a bibliophile, my passion for books coalesces with a love of writing, and writing book reviews allows me to share literature with the world.

We Were Made to Be Courageous

Unafraid: Be you. Be authentic. Find the grit and grace to shine. - Carey Scott

With the current prevalence of social media, there is an overwhelming lack of genuineness in daily life. Filters create images of people as fairies, animals, you name it, and it doesn’t stop at photos. Whether we’re talking about Facebook posts, text messages, chats, emails, or even video conferencing, the personality we project often isn’t our true self. Instead, it’s the mask that we feel the need to put on for that particular person or situation, and we’re so used to donning it that most of the time we’re not even aware of it. Juggling the myriad roles we play, the busyness of life fuels the masquerade. So how do we get off this crazy carousel of lost identity? That’s where Carey Scott’s “Unafraid: Be You. Be Authentic. Find the Grit and Grace to Shine.” comes in.

This uplifting, inspirational nonfiction book is overflowing with wisdom and guidance about how to be real and authentic through embracing our identity as Christians because “when we really sink our teeth into the truth that our identity is fully rooted in our Creator, it will change everything…if you’re afraid to be real in a world that glorifies the fake, scripture will help you find the grit and grace to unabashedly be yourself.” Scott is not afraid to get down and dirty with readers, speaking truth in a very relational tone that feels like sitting down for coffee with a friend. The numerous Bible verses employed throughout are in modern translation, which I found a bit jarring at first but which actually offered a different perspective and deeper insight. Each chapter concludes with two sections: “Finding the Grit”, which presents application questions, and “Finding the Grace”, which consists of a prayer. “Unafraid” is written for women, and no matter your situation or circumstance, I guarantee that this book will speak to your heart.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing and was under no obligation to post a review.