sorcharaicheal

For the Love of Literature

As a bibliophile, my passion for books coalesces with a love of writing, and writing book reviews allows me to share literature with the world.

Redemption and Restoration

Thief of Corinth - Tessa Afshar

There is a reason that Tessa Afshar is one of my favorite Christian authors. She pens Biblical fiction with consummate skill and keen insight, and “Thief of Corinth” is no exception. The ancient world of first-century Corinth springs to vivid life and offers readers a tour of the culture and people residing there. Despite this antiquated setting, Afshar draws many parallels between Corinth and the modern world. The issue of women’s rights—or acute lack thereof—features prominently, as does the fallout of a broken family and the repercussions of strained and severed relationships, friendships and peer pressure, and financial struggles.

With unerring acumen, “Thief of Corinth” weaves social and personal concerns and how the two intersect in the lives of the characters. Ariadne, the young heroine, challenges the status quo with her fiery personality and sense of self-preservation. Her cunning and naiveté create a duality that makes her all the more relatable and sympathetic. As readers follow her journey and understand the great impact of the past and how she came to make her choices, they realize the prospect and the cost of restoration. Perhaps the circumstances of her life have, in fact, tuned her ear to the whisper of redemption. Likewise, this novel targets a larger audience besides Christians. Readers outside the faith will doubtless enjoy Ariadne’s story and be touched by its telling and its outcome, gleaning the treasure of “Thief of Corinth” and serving as a testament to the power of love regardless of the time and place.

I received a complimentary copy of “Thief of Corinth” from the publisher. I was not required to post a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.