sorcharaicheal

For the Love of Literature

As a bibliophile, my passion for books coalesces with a love of writing, and writing book reviews allows me to share literature with the world.

Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco

This book was a mixed bag for me. I really wanted this to be a five-star read, but it just didn’t quite do it for me. The protagonist, Audrey Rose Wadsworth, seemed difficult to connect to. On the one hand, she was a paradigm for early women’s rights and an example of how a woman’s intellect could match a man’s, even when it came to studying medical science and cadavers. However, she was also annoyingly brash and obtuse on many occasions, and the romantic angle only added to this and led to a good deal of eye rolling during my reading.

The mystery itself was, in some ways, not as unique as I had hoped. The identity of the killer became fairly clear despite scattered red herrings due to process of elimination and clues dropped here and there. Part of the ending did offer a nice twist, though. This is definitely not a novel for the overly squeamish, as it contains details that one would expect from a story about Jack the Ripper. A few illustrations enhanced the reading experience and further developed the mixture of history and fiction.