sorcharaicheal

For the Love of Literature

As a bibliophile, my passion for books coalesces with a love of writing, and writing book reviews allows me to share literature with the world.

Riding High

A Horse for Kate (Horses and Friends) - Miralee Ferrell

Seventh-grader Kate Ferris and her family have just moved to Odell, Oregon, and Kate is less than enthusiastic. However, as she settles into her new home, she begins to realize that perhaps her family’s new situation isn’t as bad as she thought. Living on an old farm seems to be the perfect opportunity for Kate’s dream of getting a horse of her own to come to fruition, but things aren’t always that easy. Kate learns to have patience and faith and discovers that sometimes, even when things work out differently than we’d hoped, God has our best interests at heart.

“A Horse for Kate” is the first book in a new contemporary children’s fiction series by acclaimed Christian author Miralee Ferrell. With a target audience of 9-12-year-olds, this series will nevertheless appeal to readers and horse lovers of all ages. Mild conflict adds excitement and plot-driven tension to the story, while believable and sympathetic characters round out the novel. Furthermore, gentle forays into ethnicity and autism, as well as an interactive afterword section, serve to make this book very apt for modern readers. Fans of such classics as “Black Beauty” and “Misty of Chincoteague” will rejoice to find a new, clean, noteworthy series for readers young and old.

I was given a complimentary pdf copy of this story in return for an unbiased review.