About the Book

Book:  The Story Hunter

Author: Lindsay A. Franklin

Genre:  Christian Fantasy, Action & Adventure

Release Date: May 19, 2020

Redeeming the past is a fatal quest.

In the wake of a deadly coup, the capital city of Urian has descended into chaos. Heartbreak and bloodshed await Tanwen and her friends as they discover the unlikeliest leader now rules Tir.

If they want to save the realm, Tannie and the Corsyth weavers must rescue Queen Braith and unmask the Master, ending the strife once and for all. But the success of their hunt depends upon an ally no one trusts.

The Master has a new target in sight: fragile, trauma-scarred Digwyn, whose unique weaving ability could turn the tide of any war. When the desire for vengeance proves too powerful for Digwyn to resist, Tanwen must face a terrifying truth: the fate of Tir rests in the hands of a volatile, shattered girl.

Click HERE to get your copy!

About the Author

Lindsay A. Franklin is a Carol Award–winning author, freelance editor, and homeschooling mom of three. She would wear pajama pants all the time if it were socially acceptable. Lindsay lives in her native San Diego with her scruffy-looking nerf-herder husband, their precious geeklings, three demanding thunder pillows (a.k.a. cats), and a stuffed marsupial named Wombatman.

More from Lindsay

Someone asked me recently where my story ideas come from. In fact, that’s one of the author questions I get asked most often. Honestly, the answer is different for every single project I’ve worked on, every single thing I’ve written. I’ve gotten ideas from news headlines, from dreams, from random musings while washing dishes. I even got an idea for a novel from a throwaway remark made by an editor teaching a workshop (that’s how The Story Peddler started).

The idea for The Story Hunter started with a title that turned into a girl.

After The Weaver Trilogy was acquired, my publisher and I brainstormed a list of titles for books two and three in the series. My editor loved the title The Story Peddler and wanted to keep that format for subsequent books. On his brainstorming list was the title The Story Thief. Obviously, this title did not make it all the way to publication. The middle-grade best-selling series Story Thieves wasn’t on our radar at the time, and once it was, I knew we would have to work with a different title (and I absolutely love the title The Story Hunter, so there’s no lingering sadness over here). But the moment I saw that phrase, The Story Thief, a new character popped into my head. It was one of those rare instances when a complete person arrives in my imagination all at once. I knew who she was, what she wanted, and what her unique gift would be. She was Diggy, my story thief, and I knew book three would belong to her.

There were many things I loved about writing this final installment of The Weaver Trilogy but none more than getting to write my story thief’s journey. That’s her hand on the cover of the book, stealing lightning and battling her inner monsters. Though I knew who Diggy was the moment I imagined her, I wasn’t sure how her story was going to end until I wrote it. I can recall saying to my best friend during Hunter’s writing process, “I don’t know if Diggy is going to be okay.” Her backstory is very difficult and deeply personal to me. When we’re facing the kind of odds Diggy is facing, sometimes we don’t win. And even if we do, rarely do we come out unscathed. So I built the book around that question: is Diggy going to be okay? And I didn’t know the answer until I scribbled it down on my outline.

When readers reach The End for the final time in this series, I hope they will feel I’ve done Diggy’s story—and the stories of all my beloved Weaver characters— justice.

My Review

“And the dream of a safe, quiet life tucked away in the Corsyth with tomorrows stretching before me and Mor and the others shattered.”

Oh my heart! This book has evoked so many emotions, and I hate to see it end and to have to bid farewell to these characters. If ever there was a book to win me over to the fantasy genre, this trilogy would be it! In endeavoring to explore stories in genres outside my comfort zone, I have come to the realization that part of the reason why I tend to shy away from fantasy (and sci-fi, for that matter) is that I enjoy rural, pastoral settings. So I appreciate that The Weaver Trilogy incorporates a bit of both rural and urban life. Likewise, I enjoyed that there was still a strong element of realism, despite the clear fantasy components. Although I did not get a chance to read book two yet, there is enough backstory provided from it to clue the reader in to the major events. I would still recommend reading them in order, though, and reading book one first is essential.

Lindsay Franklin brings The Weaver Trilogy to an epic finale with “The Story Hunter.” Despite how seemingly straightforward her titles are, I love the fact that they end up meaning something different after reading the story than what I took them to mean at face value. When it comes to books, I enjoy surprises! There is no shortage of them here, as readers learn some surprising things about the events from the previous two books and how everything ties together. “The Story Hunter” opens with the aftermath of an uprising and a new and completely unexpected leader on the throne, and at no point does the action relent. This is truly a page-turner!

As with the other books in the series, this one contains multiple narrators, noted by their name in the chapter title. In many cases, this tends to be an issue for me, leading to confusion and information overload, but Franklin uses it so well here that I can’t imagine the series any other way. The varying viewpoints offer valuable insight into some of the main characters without becoming overwhelming for the reader. Digwyn, or Diggy, stole my heart in this book as I cheered for her and as my heart broke for her. I will miss these characters and the spiritual insight that they offer.

There are some caveats I would offer to potential readers: this third book in the series has violent scenes (fighting and the aftermath of battle) and does deal with post-traumatic stress involving sexual abuse. All of this is handled very well but could be disturbing or triggering to some, so I recommend this for older teen readers and above.

I received a complimentary copy of this book through Celebrate Lit and was not required to post a favorable review. All opinions are my own.

Blog Stops

Giveaway

To celebrate her tour, Lindsay is giving away the grand prize package of a signed set of The Weaver Trilogy paperbacks, set of four character cards with art by Laura Hollingsworth, set of three Weaver-themed Novelly Yours candles (The Corsyth, The Cethorelle, and The Craigyl), an “I Ship It Mor” enamel pin designed by Dust & Pages, Custom tea tins from Adagio Tea (Braith’s Blend and Diggy’s Spikefruit), and an assortment of bookmarks, stickers, and art prints!!

Be sure to comment on the blog stops for nine extra entries into the giveaway! Click the link below to enter.