About the Book

Book:  Light of Mine

Author: Allen Brokken

Genre:  Christian Fantasy Middlegrade

Release Date: November 3, 2019

Light of Mine, introduces Lauren (12), Aiden (9), and Ethan (5) who bear the responsibility of keeping their Father’s newly constructed Tower of Light shining in his absence.

Darkness is spreading through Zoura. Beyond the borders of the heathlands, innocent animals are being turned into monsters, and good men into pawns of the Dark One. Father has vanished after joining the Mighty Mercenaries and mother has gone missing in search of him.

Alone on the farm, twelve-year-old Lauren and her brave little brothers, Aiden and Ethan, must guard the Tower of Light that will guide both parents home. But when a hooded stranger is caught trespassing the farm, and a new bishop claims the church, confusion pervades their close-knit community. Will the children be able to recognize who is a threat to the Tower and who is there to help them protect it?

With little else but the aid of a trio of blessed pets, three mysterious weapons, and their growing faith, Lauren, Aiden, and Ethan find it is up to them to stop the agents of The Dark One from putting out the Light and dooming the heathlands to Darkness.

Fans of Little House on the Prairie will feel at home in the series’ classic farmstead setting, and the sincerity of the children’s love for one another— nurtured by the example of their parents—will bring a smile to readers and listeners of all ages.

Read Light of Mine aloud to your family or confidently give it to your middle grade reader, knowing he or she will be ensconced in a wholesome and riveting experience, beginning to end.

Click HERE to get your copy.

About the Author

Allen Brokken is a teacher at heart, a husband and father most of all. He’s a joyful writer by the abundant grace of God. Follow his endeavors @towersoflight, @twodadsandajoke, and http://www.brokken.net. Your children can grow their own faith and love of God by following the adventures of Lauren, Aiden, and Ethan (plus their pets!) at instagram.com/towersoflight.

Stay tuned for book two, launching in June 2020, and book three in December 2020.

The faith journey continues! Onward and upward.

More from Allen

When my kids were young there was really nothing better than getting out of my car at the end of a long day at work and having my three little kiddos run up to me and give hugs because Daddy’s Home!  As a Father of three young children I was very concerned about the direction society was taking.  I wasn’t sure that with how things were going that I had the knowledge or the skill to train them up in the way they should go, as the Bible directs.

Then in 2008 I took a new job that had me traveling four days a week.  It was one of the hardest times of my life, the stress of a high pressure job, the loneliness of being on the road, and uncertainty of being a young parent really brought me to the end of myself.  However, all of the travel gave me a lot of time to study the scriptures and learn from the writing of great bible teachers.

It was during this time that I began to write stories for my children.  At first I brought my children’s stuffed animals to life for silly adventures.  But then one day while we were putting together a play fort in our back yard I saw a sunrise pattern in the wood in the top of the tower.  I thought:

“What if there was a Tower of Light shining God’s goodness over the children and their animals?”

“What if the children experienced the indwelling of the holy spirit in a real way like Sampson or David?”

“What if the full armor of God was physical armor they could use to defeat the darkness?”

As I shared my story with my children, they loved it.

I believe you and your children will love it too.

My Review

Reading is always an adventure, and I love it when the opportunity arises to review a children’s or middle-grade novel. Not only is it a nice change of pace, especially as we navigate this pandemic, but it also offers a fresh perspective. When it comes to Christian literature, Jesus’ teachings about having the faith of a child become so much more clear as we witness the wholehearted and innocent trust that children possess. As Ethan remarks in the story, “Daddy says if we have a need, we pray. God takes care of it.” Instead of becoming jaded by the darkness of this world, we should keep our hearts soft toward others and love God above all else. After all, “The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it” (John 1:5).

“Light of Mine” by Allen Brokken begins the Towers of Light series, and I intend to read the second book when it releases. This is exactly the type of book that I devoured when I was growing up. It is billed as being in the vein of “Little House on the Prairie”, and I also see delightful similarities with Thomas L. Tedrow’s “The Younguns of Mansfield.” Because I usually avoid looking at the synopsis before reading a book, I expected this one to have a contemporary or even future setting, so the old-fashioned farm location charmed me. It is so refreshing to read a book that does not contain bullying or kids trying to be “cool”, but rather just being kids while also working hard and being respectful. Lauren, Aiden, and Ethan have their disagreements like any siblings, but they work together to solve the problems facing them, taking to heart their father’s words: “Children, as long as we stay faithful to the Lord, this Light will shine over the Heathlands. We must do our work the very best we can as if for the Lord. We must pray, read the Good Book, and honor the Sabbath…We must do our work obediently, with a happy heart, and the Light will always shine.”

Brokken astutely writes this novel to appeal to the younger generation. The theme of obedience runs throughout, but in such a way that it is not forced or repellant. Trying to put myself in the shoes of a middle-grader, I don’t think that this story will be too frightening. There are a few intense scenes, particularly at the end, that might cause distress in sensitive children, but I think that these episodes accomplish their purpose to unveil true darkness vs. true light. This is a very important distinction for children to learn how to make as they grow older, and “Light of Mine” certainly succeeds in helping them to do so. The animal characters in the story, Sparkle Frog, Daddy Duck, and Meow-Meow, lighten the tone and bring some cheerful relief. I did find the epilogue to be rather off-putting, however, although maybe for younger readers it would not be an issue; as it is, I thought that there would either be more resolution or there would be clearer direction as to where book two would go. This may just be my personal preference, however, and I am not deducting stars for it. Whether you are 10 or 100, “Light of Mine” encourages and inspires all of us to “let our light shine before others, that they may see our good deeds and glorify our Father in heaven” (Matthew 5:16).

I received a complimentary copy of this book through Celebrate Lit and was not required to post a favorable review. All opinions are my own.

Blog Stops

Inklings and notions, April 4

Truth and Grace Homeschool Academy, April 5

Texas Book-aholic, April 6

Seasons of Opportunities, April 7

Wishful Endings, April 8 (Author Interview)

Library Lady’s Kid Lit, April 9

Debbie’s Dusty Deliberations, April 10

For Him and My Family, April 11

For the Love of Literature, April 12

deb’s Book Review, April 13

Blogging With Carol, April 14

Blossoms and Blessings, April 15

Simple Harvest Reads, April 16 (Author Interview)

Artistic Nobody, April 17 (Guest Review from Donna Cline)

Giveaway

To celebrate his tour, Allen is giving away the grand prize of a $50 Amazon gift card!!

Be sure to comment on the blog stops for nine extra entries into the giveaway! Click the link below to enter.