About the Book

Book:  Capsized by Death

Author: Catherine Finger

Genre:  Christian Mystery/Thriller

Release Date: December 2019

As Police Chief Jo Oliver prepares for her dream wedding in Maui, she and her team must keep a serial killer with ties to her past from derailing her plans for the future.

Click HERE for your copy!

About the Author

Catherine Finger loves to dream, write, and tell stories. Retired from a wonderful career in public education, she celebrates the ability to choose how to spend her time in a new way during the second half of life. So far, she chooses to write books, ride horses, serve others, and generally find her way into and out of trouble both on the road and at home.  She lives in the Midwest with a warm and wonderful combination of family and friends.

Capsized by Death, the fourth novel in her Jo Oliver Thriller series, will be released by Elk Lake Publishing in December, 2019. Anchored by Death, the third novel in her Jo Oliver Thriller series, received the Bronze Medal for the 2018 Independent Publisher Book Awards, was a finalist for the National Indie Excellence Awards, and  Her second Jo Oliver Thriller, Shattered by Death, was a finalist in the International Book Awards and the National Indie Excellence Awards. Catherine and her novels have been featured on radio stations, blogs, and in numerous articles—all posted at www.CatherineFinger.com.

Catherine loves to interact with her readers at www.CatherineFinger.com Follow her on Facebook at Catherine Finger, Author, and on Twitter at CatherineFinger.

More from Catherine

In writing my Jo Oliver Thriller series, I find myself driven by passion. The genesis of the series—Cleansed By Death—was fueled by a passion to create a story about strong women embedded in a male-dominated profession, facing difficulties they could only solve through faith and community. I was vacuuming when I was hit by the idea of pitting two strong women against each other and seeing which one would win, the theme of book 2, Shattered by Death. Information gleaned during an FBI writers workshop on techniques for tracking criminals, superimposed over the mitten map of Wisconsin formed the bones for Anchored By Death, the third book in the series.

My latest novel, Capsized By Death, contains all of my favorite elements. The astute series reader will note that the foundation for the killer’s appearance in this book was introduced years ago in Cleansed By Death. But he first appeared to me during one of my many solo writing vacations on an island.

At the end of a fairytale day spent kayaking, snorkeling and listening to the sound of whales singing under water in Maui, the gorgeous male host of my day trip stood silhouetted in the setting sun. This man was beautiful in every way, and had the sort of personality that describes the essence of attractive—he pulled you into his beautiful ocean world. At that moment, I knew I had found my perfect killer for my next book! It became my goal to create a killer who was beautiful on the outside and evil on the inside. I used the New Testament book of Jude as my guide for the internal workings of my killer and thus the skeletal framework for Jude, my killer in Capsized By Death—book 4 of the Jo Oliver Thriller series—was born.

My Review

Always on the lookout for a good Christian suspense or mystery novel, I was excited to have the opportunity to read and review Catherine Finger’s “Capsized by Death.” It wasn’t until afterward that I realized that this book is the last in a tetralogy; while it can technically stand alone, it is obviously meant to go along with the other three books in this series due to clearly-established relationships and references to people and events that did not mean anything to me but doubtless come from previous installments. As such, it did take me a while to feel that I was absorbed enough into the storyline to feel comfortable, and it was a bit difficult for me to keep the characters straight.

Nevertheless, Catherine Finger’s “Capsized by Death” is an interesting Christian mystery that takes place in Maui as police chief Jo Oliver prepares to marry the man of her dreams. The opening chapters caught me by surprise and get the story off to an unexpected start. As the plot develops, Jo and her entourage find themselves drawn into an open investigation involving disappearances and murder. I will admit that I was hoping for a bit more suspense, particularly after the exciting prologue and opening, but it is still a good mystery novel. I enjoyed having short chapters and having sections within the chapters, as this allows for plenty of stopping points while reading. Maui traditions and phrases add a layer of foreign culture, but they also underscore Christianity and how Jesus saves us from our sin and from the evil in this world.

I received a complimentary copy of this book through Celebrate Lit and was not required to post a favorable review. All opinions are my own.

Blog Stops

Giveaway

To celebrate her tour, Catherine is giving away the grand prize package of a copy of the book and an Amazon gift certificate for $25!!

Be sure to comment on the blog stops for nine extra entries into the giveaway! Click the link below to enter.