About the Book

Book:  Promised Land

Author: Robert Whitlow

Genre: Christian Fiction, Suspense, Legal Drama

Release Date: January 14, 2020

With historical mysteries, religious intrigue, and political danger, Promised Land asks one momentous question: what if your calling puts you—and your family—in the crosshairs?

Despite their Israeli citizenship, Hana and Daud cannot safely return to their homeland because a dangerous terrorist ring is threatening Daud. Hana is perfectly fine remaining in the United States, working for a law firm in Atlanta, especially when she learns she’s pregnant. But Daud can’t shake the draw to return home to Israel, even if it makes him a walking target.

Hana is helping her boss plan a huge Middle East summit in Atlanta when Jakob Brodsky, her old friend and former co-litigator, asks for her help with a current case. His client is attempting to recover ancient artifacts stolen from his Jewish great-grandfather by a Soviet colonel at the end of World War II. Because the case crosses several national borders, he knows he needs Hana’s knowledge and skill to get to the bottom of what happened to these precious artifacts.

Meanwhile, Daud is called in to help a US intelligence agency extract a Ukrainian doctor from a dangerous situation in Egypt. While overseas, he can’t resist the call of Jerusalem and thus sets off a series of events that puts thousands of people in danger, including his wife and unborn child.

Bestselling author Robert Whitlow explores the meaning of family and home—and how faith forms the identity of both—in this breathtaking follow-up to Chosen People.

Click HERE to get your copy.

About the Author

Robert Whitlow is the bestselling author of legal novels set in the South and winner of the Christy Award for Contemporary Fiction. He received his JD with honors from the University of Georgia School of Law where he served on the staff of the Georgia Law Review. Website: www.robertwhitlow.com; Twitter: @whitlowwriter; Facebook: robertwhitlowbooks

Read an Excerpt

Click Excerpt Link to read an excerpt of the book.

My Review

Over a decade ago, I read Robert Whitlow’s “Jimmy”, and while I don’t remember many details, I do know that I was captivated with the eponymous boy’s tragic story. I had vague intentions of reading more of this author’s books in the future, but I never ended up doing so until now. Despite not having much interest in legal fiction or politics, I decided that it was time to finally crack open another Whitlow novel. Granted, I realized after I began reading that this was the sequel to “Chosen People”, but for the most part I did not have much difficulty figuring things out along the way. I would recommend starting with book one, however, because it does set up the backstory and tension of this sequel.

“Promised Land” showcases the complex storyline that Whitlow has made his own. History, religion, and politics converge in this action-packed, educational follow-up. This story is lengthy, yet because of the pace it reads quickly. The outsiders-looking-in characters who populate this novel add another dimension, as do the languages spoken (not written). As someone with little to no knowledge of politics, I didn’t know whether I would actually enjoy this novel or not, but happily I did. There were sections that confused me, including the very beginning, simply because I am unfamiliar with Middle Eastern terms and customs. The number of characters is somewhat daunting, and I wish that their sections could have been more clearly divided, perhaps by putting their name at the beginning of the segment, as I found it difficult to keep them distinct in my mind. Whitlow’s foreshadowing, however, is very well done. There were many times throughout the narrative that my senses picked up on a character or behavior that later turned out to be significant. My favorite part of the book, however, is the faith element. Hana in particular remains firm and steadfast in the midst of upheaval and finding her life once again turned upside down. Uncle Anwar tells her, “Some promises come only through pain and sacrifice. And so it will be for you. There is a promised land without and a land of promises within. Both realms are yours to possess if you pass the tests.”

I received a complimentary copy of this book through Celebrate Lit and was not required to post a favorable review. All opinions are my own.

Blog Stops