About the Book

Author: Alyssa Galios

Genre: Christian Memoir, Widowhood, Cancer

Release Date: November, 2019

From the testimony viewed over 100 million times on the internet:

“I am so sorry I have to deliver such awful news.” Shaking his head, the doctor muttered, “You are both so young.”

A young woman in her twenties with a future and a plan for her life comes up against a tragic nightmare when her handsome and otherwise healthy husband is suddenly diagnosed with a rare inoperable cancer. As her husband’s beliefs grow stronger, Alyssa’s dreams evaporate, and her faith slips away when the worst happens.

Experience soul-searing pain and miraculous moments of joy in this poignant true-life account. Journey with Alyssa as she grapples with life and death, faith and unbelief, disappointment and hope in a search for answers that takes her beyond grief to peace and a surprising new love.

Along the way, you’ll find answers to the questions you may be asking in your own life:

• Where is God when it hurts?
  • Why doesn’t God answer my prayers?
  • Can God make something good come out of bad?
  • Does true love ever strike twice?

Made for Brave
    is a striking example of how God can create overwhelming good from even the worst of life when we choose to partner with Him.

Click here for your copy.

About the Author

Alyssa Galios is a writer, speaker, social media influencer, and coach. Founder of the #MadeforBrave movement and CEO of the Made for Brave Company, Alyssa is known for helping countless people create better lives through faith, family, and fitness. Her life story has been featured on sites like Yahoo News, Christian Post, Fox News, HuffPost, and Viralized. Alyssa and her husband Jay run their business out of their home north of Seattle, where they happily raise their daughters. For more information, visit alyssagalios.com.

More from Alyssa

Some people come into your life as bright as shooting stars. They zip across your horizon then, all too soon, drop back into the blackness. Though you can no longer see them, you are forever changed by their brilliance. This is just as it was with Nicholas Magnotti. Six beautiful years changed the person I will always be.

Before my strapping, young and handsome 25-year-old husband got sick, I missed a large part of the point of living. I was a workaholic mainly; a worry wort often; and I got really good at playing the comparison game. As such, I spent the first three years of our marriage living in selfish fear. Nick’s presence in my life taught me something I won’t ever forget… It taught me that every single moment counts and that what we do in love for others is the only thing that truly makes a lasting impact. And, eventually, the strong faith he exuded through his trials would cause me to question and rebuild my own faith.

The day that I said yes to a blind date with a gorgeous man I had never met… the God of the universe set into motion a series of miraculous events that I couldn’t have possibly ever predicted. He didn’t cause the bad parts of my story. Not at all. But, He saw those parts, from way off in the distance and game-planned so that it would all still work together for good and for His glory. You’ll be amazed at all the good He was able to create. And, the craziest part? He is so not finished yet.

Made for Brave: A Journey Through Devastating Loss to Infinite Hope is an uncommon love story and, at times, a harrowing journey but, more than that, it’s my true life journey that I know I have been called to share. I hope you will walk it with me and come away knowing you have always been made for brave, too.

My Review

Whew. Note to self: do not save a tear-jerker to read when the review is due in a few hours. You will be trying to compose a review while exhausting the Kleenex box and attempting to see through glasses now fully smudged with tears. Truth be told, I didn’t have time to read this book any earlier, and perhaps that’s a good thing. It may not have had such a powerful impact on me if I had taken it piecemeal. Back when the sign-ups were posted for this book, I was on the fence about it, but as it turns out, I’m so glad that I decided to give it a chance. Once I started reading, I couldn’t stop!

An intimate memoir, “Made for Brave” provides a moving testimony of love and loss. Author Alyssa Galios details her journey through the trauma of her husband Nick’s diagnosis with a rare inoperable cancer and its aftermath. With piercing honesty, she tells her and Nick’s story from the beginning. The steady pace makes the pages fly by, and the writing itself is conversational and emotional, drawing the reader in immediately. For me, “Made for Brave” was even more personal because I related to this story in more ways than one. The reality of rare disease, the scramble for a diagnosis, the fact that doctors don’t know what to do even once they do have a diagnosis…I do not have cancer, but as someone with multiple chronic and rare illnesses, these are things I have experienced firsthand. Alyssa’s observation at one point early on is something that I am working on too: “Eventually, instead of worrying so much about what didn’t work right, I started counting everything as a blessing when it did work correctly.” Faith over fear.

The tears, however, didn’t start flowing until reading about Nick’s final months. So much of his amazing godly attitude and spirit reminded me of one of my dearest friends, my “soul sister,” who went home to be with Jesus in August, also at the age of 27. Her passing was not unexpected, either, but that does little to assuage the grief; grief for this separation, but joy in knowing that I will see her again someday in God’s Kingdom. As I was reading, I took a short break and came across a comment that my friend had written three years ago to someone who was grieving a loss, and it brought comfort to my heart. When I resumed reading, my eyes widened and the tears started coming in earnest as I read Nick’s words to Alyssa: “I’ll always be with you. Everywhere around you. In your heart.” The phrasing was almost identical! Definitely a God moment!

Heartbreaking as this story is, it also exemplifies Psalm30:5b: “Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning.” The first two-thirds or so of “Made for Brave” deals with sorrow, but then hope arrives full-force, and I did not find even the sadness to be depressing because the threads of hope are there throughout. The chapter titles add depth and speak to the reader. A third of the titles begin with “I Used to”, a third with “Then I”, and the last third with “Now I Know.” They also demonstrate Alyssa’s spiritual journey as a Christian, culminating in a watershed moment of faith from the book of Esther.

If you want to be inspired, with tears of both sorrow and joy along the way, if you need to revitalize your walk with God, if you have cancer or love someone who does, or if you just want to read one of the best memoirs available, check out “Made for Brave.” For as Psalm 73:26 makes clear, “My heart and my flesh may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.”

I received a complimentary copy of this book through CelebrateLit and was not required to post a favorable review. All opinions are my own.

Blog Stops

Texas Book-aholic, December 2

A Reader’s Brain, December 3

Reader’s Cozy Corner, December 4

Just the Write Escape, December 5

As He Leads is Joy, December 6

Simple Harvest Reads, December 7 (Author Interview)

For the Love of Literature, December 8

Artistic Nobody, December 9

Inklings and notions, December 10

Lots of Helpers, December 11

janicesbookreviews, December 12

Truth and Grace Homeschool Academy, December 13

Debbie’s Dusty Deliberations, December 14

Through the Fire Blogs, December 15 (Author Interview)

Giveaway

To celebrate her tour, Alyssa is giving away the grand prize package of  $25 Amazon Gift Card & a signed copy of the book!!

Be sure to comment on the blog stops for nine extra entries into the giveaway! Click the link below to enter.