About the Book

Book: Glimpses of God, A Winter Devotional for Women

Author: Shirley Crowder & Harriet Michael

Genre: Non-fiction, Christian devotional

Release Date: November 6, 2019

As Christ-followers we also experience spiritual seasons. These seasons do not come in order like seasons in nature, which come regularly without fail. Each spiritual season we experience is defined by certain features also. In spiritual winter we think of the coldness of our relationship with God; in spring, new growth; in summer, warmth and heat; in fall, shedding the old and preparing for difficult days ahead.

This book is focused on winter—both calendar and spiritual. During our spiritual winters, when it feels as though God is far away or we feel stuck or dormant, we must rest in the truth of God’s sovereign mercy, grace, love, and care for His children. It is the first in the Glimpses of God” series.

Click HERE to get your copy.

About the Authors

Shirley is passionate about disciple-making, which is conducted in and through a myriad of ministry opportunities that include biblical counseling, teaching Bible studies, and writing. She is Biblical counselor commissioned by, and serving on the national Advisory Team for, The Addiction Connection. She is co-host of “Think on These Things,” a Birmingham AL radio/TV program for women; and a freelance writer.

Harriet is a wife and mother to four grown children and grandmother to two precious grandchildren. She has authored a growing number of books, including “Prayer: It’s Not About You”, a finalist in the 2011 “Women of Faith” manuscript contest. She is also a freelance writer with numerous published pieces, including more than a hundred devotions in various magazines.

More from Shirley and Harriet

From Africa to America, Life Long Friends

March 14, many years ago …

In the heart of the African jungle in the Niger River delta of eastern Nigeria, the first cry of a newborn baby echoes from a small jungle hospital. The baby is a girl, Harriet Clarice, the third child of medical missionaries, Alice and Keith Edwards.

Harriet and her family stayed in this remote part of Nigeria for a year until the other family returned from furlough. At that time, they went for another year to Oyo, Nigeria to language school and then on to Ogbomoso in central Nigeria, where they stayed the next ten years. Keith practiced medicine at the hospital in Ogbomoso, and Alice worked with him as a nurse.

October 24 of the same year Harriet was born …

Deep in the Yoruba country of southwestern Nigeria, some 260 miles away from Joinkrama, piercing through the tropical night sounds, the first cry of another newborn baby cries out at a guesthouse in Ogbomoso. This baby is also a girl, Shirley Jeanne, the fourth child of missionaries Jeannie and Ray Crowder.

In 1962 the Crowders moved to Ogbomoso. Ray served as administrator of the 96-bed hospital, and Jeannie taught kindergarten and ministered to the Nigerian women with home visits and Bible studies. Harriet’s parents worked at the Ogbomoso hospital with Ray.

Lifelong friends

Harriet ended up living just up the dirt road from Shirley. They played together nearly every day and formed a friendship that remained, even after years and distance separated them.

Harriet and Shirley, and the others in this unique group of individuals, who shared a common childhood in Nigeria in our beloved tropical homeland half a world away from where most of us live now, grew up calling each other’s parents aunt and uncle. Even as adults, we still feel a kinship as though we are family—cousins perhaps.

Some years ago, at a mission reunion, Shirley handed Harriet a book to which she had contributed. That was the first time Harriet knew she was a writer. Shirley had discovered a few years earlier that Harriet was a writer, too.

Several years ago, Shirley suggested that they prayerfully consider writing a devotional book together. Through that experience, they learned that they work well together. Their similar understanding and views on scripture is a good foundation for the different strengths each of us bring when it comes to writing.

Since that first book, we have worked and continue to work together on other projects. Glimpses of God: a winter devotional for women is the first of a 4-book devotional series. Through our devotionals we want people to see Glimpses of God all around them. Creator God made the world and the seasons throughout the year. By using the seasons in nature, we help readers see correlations to the spiritual seasons Christ-followers experience and to get “Glimpses of God” in and through everything that happens.

So, we guess it could be said that we are once again “playing” with our childhood friend in spite of several decades having passed since they played together happily beneath the shade of mango trees.

My Review

A plethora of devotionals exist in the Christian market, and I will be the first to admit that choosing one can be daunting. There are so many choices! There are some that I follow perennially and receive in my inbox daily, but it is also refreshing to branch out and try something new during the year as well. This is why I enjoy requesting devotional books to review; although I read them quickly to get my review written, I get the chance to see what is available and what might be a good fit for me and/or for others. Something that I look for in a devotional is something that makes it distinctive, which might speak to a particular need in someone’s life at a certain time—or in this case, a certain season.

Co-written by Harriet Michael and Shirley Crowder, “Glimpses of God: A Winter Devotional for Women” offers a unique collection of writings featuring both authors. What first attracted me to it was the focus on seasons, which I think is a meaningful basis upon which to build a devotional series. This particular book is meant for winter, but there can be both a spiritual and meteorological winter, so there is no wrong time to read it. The first chapter addresses the Christmas season and New Year’s, but the lessons are apt for any time of year. For instance, Michael, speaking of Epiphany, notes that “the real focus is on the fact that the Magi’s search for Jesus represents the world as a whole—the Gentiles—learning about Jesus. Thus, its broader meaning is the celebration of the gospel being presented to the world.” This is something that I had never really contemplated before, and I love gleaning fresh insights into the awesome majesty of God and His redemption of us through Jesus.

There are 13 chapters, each comprised of five days, with a daily suggested Bible reading and a daily Scripture. This allows for two days each week to reflect and dive deeper into the Bible. I appreciated that the readings were demarcated by numbered days (Day 1, Day 2) and not actual dates such as January 1, January 2, etc. because this permits more flexibility as well as acknowledging that sometimes we are in a spiritual winter regardless of the calendar season. The devotionals alternate between Michael and Crowder, sometimes daily and sometimes by chapter. They apply their own real-life, personal stories to Biblical truths and lessons with an interesting perspective because they both grew up in Nigeria as the children of missionaries. Harriet’s comment on fires and fireplaces in the Home and Hearth chapter, that “they always make me think of the fire in the hearts of men and women who traveled so far from the comforts of home for the sake of the gospel”, gives a new meaning to the phrase “Keep the home fires burning.” May we all seek to keep the fire of the Holy Spirit burning brightly in our hearts! And as Shirley says of missionaries, that “[t]hey had unwavering faith in God to help them”, may the same be true for us in all seasons.

I received a complimentary copy of this book through CelebrateLit and was not required to post a favorable review. All opinions are my own.

Blog Stops

Book Reviews From an Avid Reader,  November 9

The Power of Words, November 10

Artistic Nobody, November 11 (Author Interview)

Jacquelyn Lynn, November 11

janicesbookreviews, November 20

A Reader’s Brain, November 21

Inklings and notions , November 22

Giveaway

To celebrate their tour, Harriet and Shirley are giving away the grand prize package of a copy of the book and a $25 Amazon gift card!!

Be sure to comment on the blog stops for nine extra entries into the giveaway! Click the link below to enter.