About the Book

Book: Waiting for God

Author: Xochitl Dixon

Genre: Non-Fiction, Devotional

Release Date: August 7, 2019

Inhale God’s Word. Exhale in prayer. Rest in God’s love.

If your heart is weary and longing for answers—for healing, for provision, for miracles—Waiting for God renews your hope with strong biblical truth and encouraging Scripture-based prayer.

Conquer your fears and frustrations as you inhale God’s Word, exhale in prayer, and rest in God’s love. Live a life of deeper connection and immediate communion with God that can lead to contentment in His constant presence, no matter what your days hold or how long God’s deliberate delays may last.

Xochitl Dixon writes each chapter with heart-touching transparency and vulnerability, as she shares her own story as well as the stories of others who are trusting God through waiting seasons with no apparent end in sight. As a woman who lives with chronic pain, Xochitl understands constant struggle yet chooses to put God on the throne of her life.

Click HERE to purchase your copy.

About the Author

Xochitl (So-Cheel) E. Dixon has a heart for loving God and people. She’s passionate about intercessory prayer, nurturing spiritual growth, and the prayerful study and application of Scripture. Through her daily struggles with chronic pain, due to an upper back injury she endured in 1992, she writes with transparency, ministers to the hurting, and inspires hope through worshiping God in all circumstances.

She serves as a regular contributor to Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org), a ministry devoted to making “the life-changing wisdom of the Bible understandable and accessible to all.” Her devotional, Waiting for God: Trusting Daily in God’s Plan and Pace (Discovery House Publishers) is available for pre-order and releases August 7, 2019. She is a contributing author for the upcoming Our Daily Bread devotionals: What Really Matters (August 7, 2019), And He Walks with Me (October 2, 2019), and Moments of Peace for Moms (October 2, 2019).

Her devotions have also been included in All God’s Creatures (Guideposts, 2019), God Hears Her (Discovery House, 2017), Our Help (Discovery House, 2017), and This Far by Faith: Legacies of the Black Church (Discovery House, 2017). Her nonfiction has been published in My Amazing Mom (Chicken Soup for the Soul, 2018), Second-Chance Dogs (Revell, 2018), LIVE Magazine (2019), and Church Health Reader (2019).

She followed God from California to Wisconsin and is enjoying Midwest adventures with her best friend and husband of over 25 years, Dr. W. Alan Dixon, Sr. She loves their sons, A.J. and Xavier, spoils her service dog, Callie, and likes serving as a speaker, traveling, photography, reading, singing, sketching, studying Scripture, and nurturing authentic relationships.

Xochitl connects with readers and shares encouragement devotions, prayer, and Scripture-based memes on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and on her blog at www.xedixon.com. You can also follow her Author Page on Amazon’s Author Central.

More from Xochitl

"Never pray for patience."

My friend’s warning pricked at the back of my mind. Without realizing it, I began lacing my prayers with fear, doubt, and caution. I couldn’t risk being thrust into situations that would force me to develop patience, so I did everything in my power to avoid asking the Lord to help me be patient.

But even when I didn’t ask Him to cultivate the fruit of the Spirit in me, I always seemed to end up in circumstances that stretched my faith as much as my patience.

When my agent challenged me to write the book I had to write, I pitched Waiting for God: Trusting Daily in God’s Plan and Pace.

I thought I’d be sharing tips about how to persevere through trials and endure suffering with grace. But after I signed the contract and received a deadline for my manuscript, my husband received an unexpected job offer.

We followed the Lord from California to Wisconsin.

Writing became a challenge as I suffered a setback in my healing journey. I endured high levels of pain and fatigue. My husband and I struggled with frustration as we adjusted to life in the Midwest during one of the coldest winters in history.

And God changed my perspective on waiting for Him, which has nothing to do with patience.

I’ll be sharing my answers to the end-of-chapter questions on my blog (www.xedixon.com). I’m excited to invite you to join the adventure.

I look forward to growing with you as we wait for God, inhaling His Word, exhaling in prayer, and resting in His love as we trust daily in His plan and pace.

My Review

“Hurry up and wait!” With unknown origins but generally attributed to the American military, this phrase encapsulates contemporary culture. Always bustling, stampeding through life at a pace often well above the safe speed limit and bemoaning any red lights we encounter along the way. We want what we want, when we want it. Manifest destiny, right? The American Dream. Have it all, do it all, be it all—on our own timeline, of course. We are not usually patient people; I know I’m not. I try, but far too frequently I fall short and haste reigns. It’s the waiting that trips us up. It’s also the waiting that offers us peace and fortitude.

When I began reading Xochitl Dixon’s “Waiting for God: Trusting Daily in God’s Plan and Pace”, I knew that the timing was God-ordained. I just didn’t realize how much so. It dovetailed nicely with my previous read, “Obedience Over Hustle” by Malinda Fuller. Trust is something I’m really focusing on in my faith walk this year. Some days are better than others. This week has fallen into the “others” category. Sometimes the thing we wait for takes us by surprise and turns us upside down, even when we were expecting it. The day after I began “Waiting for God”, one of my very dearest friends and sisters in Christ went home to be with Jesus. We bonded over shared chronic illnesses, and in the short four-and-a-half years that we knew each other, we prayed expectantly for healing. The Lord worked in miraculous ways in her life, bringing her back from the valley of the shadow on multiple occasions. This last crisis was different, though, and in my heart I knew that the time had come for her to meet Jesus face-to-face.

As I slowly read through “Waiting for God”, my mind hazy with a mixture of grief and joy, the devotionals ministered to my heart. I have had my own seemingly long period of waiting, now over seven years into chronic illness life with a body that fails more each year, and waiting is not on my list of favorite pastimes. You know that a book is written through the power of the Holy Spirit when each Scripture cited speaks to you personally and you find yourself continuously highlighting quotations from the book itself. One of my favorites early on was: “When we focus on living for God, like Joseph, we can accept everything that occurs during the wait as an opportunity to grow closer to Him and others.” That’s what it’s all about! Learning to rely upon God completely, and to look beyond the superficial shell of our trials to see the pearls growing within.

Living with multiple chronic illnesses, some days it can be so difficult to see life from the lens of eternity, the way that God does. Our suffering seems to go on forever, and eternal life with the Lord seems so far away. We know that one day all of our suffering will end, yet that one day can seem terribly long in coming. This quotation from the book offers a new insight: “Living by faith one day at a time is of greater value than recounting the number of days we’ve been hurting or trying to figure out how much longer we’ll have to endure our trials.” Indeed, “He promises peace, even when we don’t experience relief from our suffering on this side of eternity.” Our part is to accept it! In order to do so, we must surrender to Him, which is a recurrent theme in “Waiting for God.”

With a devotional format, “Waiting for God” can be read straight through or on a daily basis. Each chapter opens with “Today’s Truth” and a Bible reading, which in the Kindle version is a hyperlink that conveniently takes you to the Scripture online. Each chapter ends with an Inhale, which is a relevant verse from Scripture, and an Exhale in the form of a prayer. There are also 3-4 discussion questions that are relative to what is currently going on in your life and can therefore be re-explored with each read-through. This is a book to be savored, and one that I would recommend for anyone at any point in their life’s journey. Personal stories drive home the point that we all need to be growing in our relationship with the Lord, regardless of what our waiting looks like and whether we are experiencing a mountaintop zenith or a valley nadir.

I received a complimentary copy of this book through CelebrateLit and was not required to post a favorable review. All opinions are my own.

Blog Stops

Inklings and notions, September 14

Cultivating Us, September 15

God is Love, September 15

Giveaway

To celebrate her tour, Xochitl is giving away a grand prize package of a $25 Amazon gift card, a signed copy of Waiting for God, and a copy of God Hears Her (Our Daily Bread 365-Day Devotional)!!

Be sure to comment on the blog stops for nine extra entries into the giveaway! Click the link below to enter.