About the Book

Book: The Amish Widow’s Rescue

Author: Rachel J Good

Genre: Amish Romance

Release Date: May 28, 2019

The perfect family awaits…if only he’ll risk his heart.

Pregnant and recently widowed, Grace Fisher is determined to provide for her family on her own. Thankfully, her jam business is popular in her Amish community. But it’s difficult keeping up with her work, her farm chores, and her two mischievous children. Especially now that they’ve taken to idolizing their neighbor Elijah. While the handsome farmer is kind and generous, he seems intent on holding Grace and her little ones at a distance…

Elijah Beiler has always admired his neighbor Grace. So standing by while she struggles to support her family isn’t an option. Offering to take over her farm duties, Elijah is determined to help while remaining detached. He knows all too well that love only leads to heartbreak. Yet the more time he spends with Grace and her children, the harder he finds it to leave each day. But can Elijah overcome past hurts and open his heart to this ready-made family?

”A beautiful story of forgiveness and second chances.” -Shelley Shepard Gray, New York Timesbestselling author, on The Amish Teacher’s Gift

Click HERE to purchase your copy.

About the Author

Rachel J. Good writes life-changing, heart-tugging novels of faith, hope, and forgiveness. The bestselling author of several Amish romance series, she grew up near Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, the setting for many of her stories. Striving to be as authentic as possible, she spends time with her Amish friends, doing chores on their farms and attending family events. Rachel has more than 40 books in print or forthcoming for both children and adults under several pen names. Find out more about Rachel and her books at her website and by signing up for her newsletter.

Rachel’s Amish series include Sisters & Friends (Charisma House & Harlequin), Love & Promises (Hachette/Grand Central), Hearts of Amish Country (Annie’s Book Club), and the forthcoming Unexpected Amish Blessings and Surprised by Love series (Kensington). She also has several anthologies in print as well as the Amish Quilts Coloring Book.

More from Rachel

The story idea for The Amish Widow’s Secret came to me after I’d just finished reading stories to my Amish friend’s children to give her a little break. She was expecting a new baby, and while we sat in their kitchen enjoying a snack, her husband came in.

The tenderness in his eyes as they talked made my eyes well with tears. It was obvious how much they loved each other, and they both supported each other. A perfect companionship. Not everyone gets to experience that bond, that caring.

It made me wonder what she’d do without him, and the seeds of a story was born. I decided to explore how a widow would cope with a pregnancy and two children alone. In the Amish community, of course, no one is ever left on their own. Everyone chips in to help.

So, what if the handsome and reclusive bachelor next door felt obligated to help, but wanted to avoid getting involved? Would he eventually soften his heart toward children and love?

As I wrote, I wondered if Elijah Beiler could get over a previous heartbreak. He needed to face his past before he moved forward, so I gave him that opportunity. A surprise visit and unwelcome news force Elijah to rethink everything he believes about parenting and love. And about the person who destroyed his world. He also needs to face the bitterness he’s been harboring.

Sometimes learning more about the circumstances or reasons of the person who has hurt us causes us to see the whole situation in a new light, making it easier to let go of the hurt. That’s what happens to Elijah.

I hope his journey will encourage readers to consider the places in their lives where they’ve been holding onto pain and reevaluate those experiences in the light of God’s forgiveness and love. To write this story, I needed to do that too.

My Review

Rachel Good spins another compelling Amish story in book three of the Love and Promises series, “The Amish Widow’s Rescue”. Having read book two, it was nice to see a brief appearance by Leah in this latest installment, which helps connect the stories and increases the overall cohesiveness. “The Amish Widow’s Rescue” made a deeper impression on me because of the main character Grace’s plight and her children. Grace must overcome the unexpected passing of her domineering husband while running her jam business and caring for her two little ones, a daunting task made all the more so by the fact that she is pregnant with her third child. As she moves forward, she learns the power of second chances.

One of this book’s many strengths lies in demonstrating that everyone wrestles with similar issues, even the Amish. Grace finds it very difficult to accept help, which is something that so many of us struggle with. We want to be capable and independent, but the truth of the matter is that God created us for community, and He does not expect or want us to face life alone. We need to not only accept Him into our hearts, but also be willing to allow others to help us when the need arises. And we should do the same for them, following Elijah Beiler’s example in this novel to help widows and orphans in their distress. Furthermore, another point that is made several times throughout the narrative is the importance of going to God first and foremost with our problems rather than trying to fix them ourselves or immediately taking them to someone else.

Miriam is my favorite character. She struggles with her own heartache and jealousy during her aunt Grace’s pregnancy, and although she steps back at times, ultimately she proves to be a selfless teenager. Her former period of rebellion proves advantageous to the present circumstances, illustrating how the Lord works all things together for good. Both Miriam and Elijah grapple with their own past trauma and its lingering effects, but healing comes in unpredictable ways. Seemingly impossible situations attest to the powerful working of God in hearts and minds, giving evidence of His endless grace and mercy and of how He continually rescues us. An intriguing plot combining past and present events and a laudable attention to detail make “The Amish Widow’s Rescue” a touching story that resonates with emotion.

I received a complimentary copy of this book through CelebrateLit and was not required to post a favorable review. All opinions are my own.

Blog Stops

Texas Book-aholic, June 9

Genesis 5020, June 10

Little Homeschool on the Prairie, June 10

Giveaway

To celebrate her tour, Rachel is giving away a grand prize of autographed copies of The Amish Midwife’s Secret and Big-City Amish, a copy of an Amish cookbook, and an authentic Amish headscarf!!

Be sure to comment on the blog stops for nine extra entries into the giveaway! Click the link below to enter. https://promosimple.com/ps/e2ab/the-amish-widow-s-rescue-celebration-tour-giveaway