sorcharaicheal

For the Love of Literature

As a bibliophile, my passion for books coalesces with a love of writing, and writing book reviews allows me to share literature with the world.

A Watershed Moment

A Daring Venture - Elizabeth Camden

Poised on the brink of a watershed moment for delivering clean water to the masses, “A Daring Venture” adroitly combines science with the human element. Hindsight is usually 20/20, and it is easy to look back and forget that what we now take for granted was once contentious and groundbreaking. As such, it is informative to see both sides of the controversy and to get a glimpse into the techniques, sacrifices, and struggles of each. Elizabeth Camden achieves this without overwhelming the reader with scientific detail, composing a novel that keeps readers engaged and intrigued.

My grandmother was born in 1908, and I know little about her life or the early twentieth century in America, so it was a treat to read a story set during that time period. Another aspect of this novel that distinguished it from other historical fiction was the occupation and background of the main character, Rosalind Werner. Her childhood brush with cholera paves the way for her professional aspirations and also makes her more sympathetic to readers, and having achieved her doctorate in biochemistry from a German university makes her completely unique in this genre. Nicholas Drake is similarly distinctive, a suitable complement and adversary. The moral and ethical considerations woven into the narrative cause Rosalind and Nick’s professional and personal lives to intersect while infusing the story with a subtle faith element. Elizabeth Camden truly pens a tour de force with “A Daring Venture”, and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for an intelligent, absorbing read.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers and was not required to post a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.