sorcharaicheal

For the Love of Literature

As a bibliophile, my passion for books coalesces with a love of writing, and writing book reviews allows me to share literature with the world.

Beneath the Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire

Beneath the Sugar Sky - Seanan McGuire

Vividly mysterious with gothic overtones. That is how I would characterize Seanan McGuire’s Wayward Children series, and “Beneath the Sugar Sky” is no exception. This third book features Rini, who is seeking her mother in order to save her world. The only problem is that her mother died before Rini was born. And so begins the quirky and peculiar tale. The way that the worlds coexist and produce doorways leading into strange lands make for an intriguing read, and while the tale is highly imaginative, it also contains enough technical and world-building detail to challenge the reader. Don’t be fooled by the short length and beautiful cover; this is not a cute, happy-go-lucky yarn, but rather a dark fairy tale that touches on issues that children face in today’s society and the horrors that may lurk behind the doorway to the soul. Nevertheless, hope still reverberates softly throughout the story, and perhaps the final two sentences put it best: “There is kindness in the world, if we know how to look for it. If we never start denying it the door.”